Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1/26 Shimer

Critique: Baby Beauty Pageant

Last week and most of the past weekend has been spent working on my feature design for the Baby Beauty Pageant design competition. I started working on the assignment on Thursday night and I got the opening spread to basically look like how I wanted it to look. I didn't touch it again until Saturday at noon and worked non-stop until 5:30. It was a long day, but I'm pretty pleased with the end result. The hardest part was trying to make the copy stretch across five pages. There wasn't a lot of copy to work with and I was worried that I would have a page without any (I'm not sure if that's a bad thing). I ended up getting copy on all pages, and I was able to fit six photos throughout the entire feature with two pull quotes. Overall, I like it. I tweaked a few things on the cover and spreads today, but they were mostly small errors. The pictures I posted above are only of the cover and opening spread. 

As a tip I would avoid going to Kinkos. The guy that helped me didn't know what he was doing. He said they have new software, and he didn't know how to use it very well.

This week I will be working on a draft for Spring Preview. I'm not sure what direction I want to go in yet, but I'll post drafts when I start designing. Next week I'm going to start working on my Social Smoking feature for Vox that will run February 17. It's a two page spread.

Response: Large Magazine Project

I'm excited to get started on the Large Magazine Corporation Project for this semester. I think it will be really cool to come up with design for a magazine aimed at a younger generation that is themed toward home decor or food. I can't wait to see what the Publishing class comes up with for the project. It is such a great opportunity as a student to work under the a large corporations brand.

I also found their information about the industry helpful. When Maggie Meyer talked about how to art direct a photo shoot and design in order to make the subject matter younger was interesting. She had a lot of tips about what it was like to actually design for a national publication.


You Can't Miss: Book of Art
Today I was stumbling on stumbleupon.com and found these really cool art pieces made out of books. The artist is Isaac Salazar . His stuff is really cool. He takes a book and carves words out of the pages. Check out his flickr site to see more examples of his stuff. He sells a lot of his art on etsy, so if you're that inspired and want one of your own it's for sale. His site is http://www.etsy.com/people/BookOfArt


Designing Magazine's blog
The blog I'm following this semester is designingmagazines.com . In a post on the site about the redesign of New York Times Magazine, the blogger Jandos Rothstein, writes about how the redesign is a disservice to everyone from editor and designer down to reader. The editor explained that the magazine is smaller because they switched to a more condensed typography. However, the switch is harder on the eyes, and causes the design to look much more cluttered.

Even though times are tough in the publishing world, when publications make cuts to try and slim down magazines to save money it can be detrimental on so many levels. The blog post about New York TImes Magazine can be found at designingmagazines.com. It is on the main page.

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job with your cover and opening spread of the first assignment. I really like the way you designed the spread. The one dominant photo has impact and sets the tone of the story. I like the font choice as well.
    I had never heard of Isaac Salazar. His stuff is so neat! I had no idea people made art out of books. I was also unaware of the redesign of New York Times Magazine. I'll have to read about it.
    I look forward to reading your blog this semester! Good luck designing this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post about the NYT Magazine re-design is really interesting. I never looked at the print version of the magazine much before last semester in Beginning Magazine Design. I still think it has a nice feel to it, but perhaps their design is more restricted because of the shortened page count.

    One thing they always do a great job with: their covers. They sometimes use photos on the cover, but aren't afraid to go beyond that and commission cool illustrations/type designs to draw the reader in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part of your blog was that I actually stared at your Isaac Salazar photo for a good 5 minutes trying to figure out how to recreate that in a book -- it looks impossible! Great first "you can't miss"! I can't wait to see what you find throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete