Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Critique: Social Smoking

This is the first draft that I turned in on Monday during the staff meeting.

 This week I have been working on my social smoking spread. It has been tough to work on it because of all the snow days we had. The art was supposed to be on the server on Tuesday but because of the snow it made it difficult for Hayley, the photo coordinator for Vox, to select and edit the photos. It wasn't until Wednesday night that we all learned how to VPN into the server and were finally able to accomplish some things.

Aside from the technical difficulties, it was tough to design. All the photos that were available to me were horizontal. This paired with only having a two-page spread to fit photos and the entire story was a challenge. I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I want to tell the story visually.

I foresee my design changing quite a bit once I get the actual photos for the spread with captions (Hayley is thinking about having the photographer go out again).

UPDATE:
This is the second draft I am now working on after Erica's comments.

I'm not super fond of it right now, so any feedback would be great. There was one horizontal shot taken, so that's the one that I had to use in order to fit another photo on the spread.  I might try a different type treatment for the headline. Any suggestions? It looks a little crowded over there right now.

1 comment:

  1. I love the convertible couches you found! Those are neat. And for your design, I think you're on a great start. I like the blue bar on the opening page and how you connected it with the little bar under the pull quote. Maybe try to line up the bottoms of the two photos on the right? It might help. It would be hard to fit that entire story and the photos.. especially because a dominant photo is needed. Maybe you could make it a smudge smaller though and put a little more of the text on the left. Just an idea. Great job though!

    ReplyDelete